Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Longest Day of the Year?

Happy Summer Solstice! Back home in NH this meant the longest day of the year with sunset not until ~9pm. Here at Summit, however, there's nothing remarkable about the solstice. Afterall, you can't make a 24-hour day any longer. What it probably does mean though is that the sun is a bit higher in the sky at night than usual. This would be difficult to measure though without burning out my retinas. Still, for those of you in the Northern Hemisphere that are not above the Arctic Circle, enjoy the extra sunlight!

Speaking of 24 hour daylight, here's a picture I took at 11pm during Saturday's overnight sampling:


The Arctic sure is pretty!

I do have some sad news today: two of my geese-y friends were found dead at camp today. This bums me out; I really thought they'd make it! RIP geese, RIP. Maybe the one that wasn't found did find it's way to the coast. Here's hopin'.

On a lighter, more positive note, I went for my first Summit run today. Conditions were perfect by Summit standards (~18C (~0F), sunny, no wind) and I had some time before dinner so I figured why not? This was the first run I've done since my time in Kanger when I picked up the sled dog puppy so I planned to go slow. And slow I went, though it sure didn't feel like it; thanks to the altitude (just above 10,000ft here) and the snow, it felt like I was running a race! I did expect running to be harder up here but I thought the ~5 miles I've been walking a day would've helped. Maybe the next run will be easier. One bonus of today's hard run though is that I'm sure I'll sleep well tonight, even if the sun's a little higher in the Arctic sky!

No comments:

Post a Comment